Saturday, March 8, 2008

An so it begins...





The chicken ownership has begun. The plans for the coop purchased, the food, waterer, feeder, container and chicks ordered. On March 19, 2008, we become a family with chickens!
I am going to modify the coop plan in the picture to remove some of the nest boxes. I only am getting five hens and do not need 8 nest boxes. I am also making one side open completely with two hinged doors, putting a solid floor in and making a separate portable run. With our winters here, I am going to add a light fixture and hinged panels on the front so it can be open as pictured in the warm winter but closed in the cold.




This should be an adventure but progress pics of chicks and coop will be forthcoming as time goes on. Meanwhile, I am getting everything ready to pick the girls up on 3/19...I will post a pic of the fuzzy cuties when they come home. :)