Thursday, March 20, 2008

Day 2 for the Girls

The girls are now 2 days old. They are a joy to have around for sure. they are comfy and quiet...most of the time. Everyone is doing great. Lilly has a pasty butt so she is getting her backside cleaned with warm water a couple of times per day but she is doing great too.
*
All the girls are eating, drinking, sleeping and experiencing life around them very normally. The brooder is set up in our bathroom where it is draft free and comfy all day. Their heat lamp is above them, plenty of food, water and attention...so happy chicks.
*
They are very particular though. Everyone says the brooder should be about 95 degrees for their first week. Not these girls...at 95 degrees inside the brooder, they move as far away from the heat lamp as possible. So, I raised the heat lamp and watched the thermometer...with it raised, the temp is holding at 90 degrees...the girls are very happy with that temperature so I am leaving it there. I figure they know what temperature they like best.
*
They each have their very own personality and it is starting to show. Lilly is getting so much better about her little butt baths...I think she understands that I am helping her. Speckles is just a snuggler...every time my hand goes into the brooder she hops on it...she comes to the side of the tote to look at me when I come into the room. This morning, all 6 of them were at the side of the tote watching husband shave very intently. They seemed fascinated with what he was doing. All of them are good girls.
*
More chicken news later...