Saturday, March 15, 2008

I should have known better....

<---New Hampshire Red

I stopped by the co-op today to make sure the chicks would be here Wednesday and also to find out what time would be good to pick them up. Well, I was considering adding a Buff Orpington to the group of girls and found out that all the chicks that were coming in on Wednesday were already reserved. Chickens, Guineas, Ducks and Turkeys...all reserved. The gentleman checked to make sure that each of the breeds were in fact completely reserved and he then told me there was 1 lone New Hampshire Red that was not claimed. Soooooo, I reserved her. I mean all the babies going home but 1...I could not let that happen. The reds are supposed to be good large brown egg layers, docile and good in confinement. That was important to me for the winters when they will have to be n the coop so much of their time. So, on Wednesday I will bring home Molly, Holly, Lilly, Sandy, Speckles and now Maggie.
*
Just a few more days and I will have pics of the new babies here...home, safe & warm in their new little brooder. I have their brooder ready with pine shavings, a feeder, a waterer and a nice heat lamp with a infrared bulb just waiting for them to come home. Oh I foresee spoiled chickens. hahahahahaha
More news and pics of the babies later...