Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wow what a week


Well our little dominique decided to sacred us half to death last week. She was suddenly listless and stretching her neck like she was trying to throw up...which I know is impossible. So, in the house she came.
*
While Cheyenne got her medical tote prepared with water, straw and a blankie. I began using a syringe to get vegetable oil down her. I called a wonderful friend from the BYC forum and talked to her about her and got her input as well. She came to the same conclusion that something was stuck. So she helped work out a care plan for her which included continuing the oil and getting water and food in her.
*
So, every hour she got 1/4 cc of vegetable oil, a throat massage, water and soupy food. Day 2 I was wondering if I would have to cull her. But she actually started drinking on her own so, I did not give up on her.
*
I kept of that regime and finally she was okay and back to normal so yesterday evening she went baack in the coop. Everyone was nice to her and there were no scuffles and today she was her normal self.
*
I am still amazed at how quickly they can go down but also how quickly they can bounce back. I love my girls and try to go the extra mile for them and I am so glad I did not lose my little pocket chicken. When she was a chick she would ride around everywhere in the pocket of my robe...when she was sick she tried to get in my pocket but she is too big for that now.
But Domino is here with us to stay thank goodness.


Domino

This is her as a baby sitting with me in my robe

Dominque

Everyone else is doing fabulous and so is she now but she had us worried for about 5 days. life with chickens is never calm...it is always something. Either comical or scarey...it is always something.